With the help of our sponsor, MB Battery, and the residents of Meadowbank Rd, Marygrove Crescent and Tolcross Gate in Whyte Ridge, JCI Winnipeg made a total weight contribution to Winnipeg Harvest of 411 pounds of food and $60 in cash donations.
This inspiriting generosity reminds us all of our capacity to give. Thank you to all who have contributed to this kindness. We look forward to next year's event and invite those who wish to achieve a greater impact to join us.
It all started amid various discussions among members at our JCI Winnipeg Summer Wrap Up event on Sept. 3rd. What should we do for Halloween? Then, John Mark Wilderspin and Erica Christie came up with the idea of Trick-or-Treating for contributions to Winnipeg Harvest. The project was accepted unanimously, a work group was formed and tasks were quickly snatched up.
- Connect with other #TrickOrEat groups across the city
- Mobilize with a Facebook event - Trick-or-Eat with JCI Winnipeg
- Create, print and distribute a flyer to 200+ homes
- Tweet about the event, along with our upcoming elections
- Save to calendar and think of a costume
In all, we mobilized 9 young active citizens, some JCI Winnipeg members and some future members, and went door to door in Whyte Ridge, collecting contributions to Winnipeg Harvest. We gathered 411 lbs of food and $60 cash for Winnipeg Harvest in less than 2 hours.
John Mark and I chatted about next year's event while unloading what we had collected at Winnipeg Harvest. He's agreed to lead the project again, and I pledged to assist him. I am sure next year's JCI Winnipeg Board of Directors will adopt this project and make it even bigger.
If anyone wants to help out, here's what we need:
- Someone to design a better flyer
- Volunteers to go door to door with us on Sat. Oct. 31st, 2015
- Small business sponsors like MB Battery :-)
Leave a comment below, email us at JCIWinnipeg@gmail.com or tweet us at @JCIWinnipeg to sign up for next year.
Winnipeg Harvest takes donations year round, have a look at these options on how to get involved.
Thanks to all who participated.
What's next for JCI Winnipeg ?
- Check out our upcoming elections for the 2015 Board of Directors
- Read about our upcoming JCI Winnipeg Charity Toy Drive, in support of the Christmas Cheer Board.